Friday, April 24, 2015

TGIF!

If you haven't already heard, it's been raining cats and dogs here in Sydney and across the greater state. It's been all flash floods and gale force winds and power outages and even, sadly, fatalities.

Today we saw the first bit of sunshine we've seen all week, so I thought I'd take a moment to celebrate the beginning of the weekend and enjoy the small pleasures of life at home. Normality is underrated!

I really like the look of my family's coffee table right now - it reveals a bit of insight into how we like to unwind in the evenings after dinner. It's peaceful and calm and comforting to share quiet telly time together in the living room.

Tea, yarn, roses, and tasty morsels to schnickety-snack on... everything a person needs to relax.

Did I mention I have a lot of yarn-fans in my life? My sister is one of them and she's constantly working on some knitting project. There's always lots of patterns and needles and baskets of multicoloured balls of wool and cotton lying around. My friend M recently got me into basic crochet too, which I've been doing off and on (currently on), leaving me with a bunch of practice squares.

I'm trying to look past my perfectionism and actually use them, rather let them go to waste lying useless in the bottom of a bag in a dusty corner somewhere. They're lumpy and imperfect, but my sister insists there's an element of charm in that! Right now they're doing well as coasters and place mats to protect our wooden surfaces.

My thoughtful mother also often dots the house with beautiful flowers that she clips from her garden. They brighten up the place fabulously - very important in dark, dreary weeks like this one has been!



This tiny vase is so cute! I found the glass jar a few months ago when I was working in the Aussie bush, and I loved it so much I dug it up and took it home. The rosemary, from our own herb pots, was leftover from a roast veg dish - perfect for makeshift leaves, and deliciously smelly.

Anyway, it cheers me up. And it's so simple! smile emoticon What's putting a smile on your face this thankful Friday?

By the way, if you were wondering, my head torch is there because I use it to help me see my stitches at night when I'm working with very dark yarn. I look like a total dork wearing it, but I'm not crocheting to impress!

The little ziplock bag of coloured squares are miniature tasting blocks of chocolate (did I mention I'm a chocolate fanatic?) that I got from ... but I'll save that story for next time. wink emoticon

Happy weekend folks!

Vacuuming On Holiday

7 comments:

  1. Hurray for crochet time! We ca. Crochet together this December! 😃

    Hello from Amsterdam! You were right... It is a great city!

    Take care Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you are having fun in Amsterdam! Stay strong, keep living and smiling! :)

      Hopefully I'll be a bit better at crochet by December - maybe you can teach me a few things? haha <3 xoxo

      Delete
  2. Hi Bernie thanks for dropping by :) I hope you're surviving the storms - the news over here has been mentioning them quite a lot! Lovely pictures, I love the vase it's such a great keepsake! And you should definitely do something with your squares! You could always sew them together as a memento cushion cover or something?! They do make great mats as well :) Have a lovely weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helen, thanks for visiting :) It hailed this weekend which is insane for Sydney! Thank you for the ideas! Too bad my squares are all different sizes - I'm still working on my tension :p Maybe I can put them together into something ramshackle and "rustic"? Hope you had a great weekend too :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Bernie, thanks for visiting me at emerald cottage :) I LOVE that you use your head torch for crochet, that is genius !! I might try that. If nothing else it will give my husband a laugh ....
    Jillxo
    Jillxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jill! We all make sacrifices for our craft ;) Let me know how it goes :) xx

      Delete
    2. And thank you for visiting and commenting! Great to hear from you :) Have a great week!

      Delete