Wednesday, December 10, 2014

It only takes a moment

In the lead up to my next flashback blog post, I have to tell you about one of my “tearful moments”.

There were a few moments on my holiday when, in the middle of a stellar day, I’d come across something that made me cry. Besides being a bit embarrassing, I actually kind of liked these moments, because they always reminded me that I wasn’t seeing new things for the sake of it.

I had such a moment at the Brighton Museum & Art Gallery while checking out an exhibit about WWI. A couple wrote regularly to their son on the frontline, regretting that they wouldn’t be able to celebrate his birthday with him, and telling him how much they missed him:


Far from detailing what must have been horrible times in battle, the boy wrote back to his parents with his hopes and dreams to cheer them up, telling them not to worry, reassuring them that they would be able to celebrate his next birthday together.

A few weeks after this letter, he was killed in battle...

I'll admit, it totally undid me.

Travelling is an emotional and a beautiful thing, even when it’s carefree and unexpected (sometimes because of it). I think the world will come to an end when we are so apathetic that we have no sense of curiosity or respect for the things that challenge us.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment